Monday, November 18, 2013

Part One: Easy-fix solutions to spray gun problems, Leaking Cup

If you’re reading this then you may have been swearing a few minutes ago. Maybe you’re swearing now. This article will pinpoint what the $%*& is wrong with your &*%$ing spray gun and teach you how to quickly fix it.

Leaking Cup

This is the issue we get most of our calls about. Almost 90% of the time the cup is simply cross-threaded or not on tight enough. The other 10% includes the Dip Tube being loose, the gun needing to be cleaned, and one perpetually unlucky cat named Whiskers.

1. You may be missing a piece: before going any further, first check to make sure you have all the required pieces. A leaking cup can sometimes be caused when the white gasket is not in place (see: Item 15 in the diagram). Also, be sure that the gasket is set firmly into the recess of the spray gun—making sure that it is flat, even, and snug. If you have lost or misplaced the gasket, your spray gun will continue to bubble and drip  —Please, don’t hesitate to call Aviva for a replacement.


2. The cup is cross-threaded: A leaking cup can occur when the cup is not tightened into the gun properly. The cup is somewhat easy to incorrectly thread and this will result in spray tan solution leaking from the seam between the cup and the spray gun.

To fix: try taking the cup back off, cleaning the threads, and screwing it back in—taking care to check that the threads are aligned properly. (Hint: I would suggest screwing the cup in a little, then unscrewing it half a turn back just to make sure that the threads are aligned. Then repeat this process until the cup is tightened completely.) 

3. The cup may not be tight enough: because it is a pressurized air gun, the cup needs to be fit snugly into the gun.

To fix: Make sure that the cup has been sealed tightly (only hand-tight), but do not try to over-tighten. If the cup still does not seem tight enough, check to make sure you haven’t cross-threaded the cup. 

4. The straw (or Dip Tube) that goes from your cup to the gun may be loose: This is the piece that brings the air to the solution, and because it is nestled in the middle of the cup, it can become dislodged and cause your spray gun to drool.

To fix: Pull the straw entirely out of the spray gun and reinsert it by firmly pushing it back into the hole of the gun until you feel a little “pop” and the ridge on the straw is locked securely in the gun.

Hopefully, your problems have been solved. If, for whatever reason, your spray gun still does not seem to be fixed after reading these three articles--or you are confused about any part--please call Aviva Labs and we will help you sort it out.